Mindanao Film Fest 2010: A Review

The festival ended last night with a sigh of success for both film makers and organizers at the Villa Margarita. Full packed of special guests from the north. (e.g NCCA, CinemaRehiyon, actor Rez Cortez, Davao talents and beauty titlists). The night was great. I was honoured to be part of the batch where I have seen such great films. It is an indication that film as an art of expression, progresses now in Mindanao.

I saw the festival grew. I saw my films grew also, though, step by step, at least I have learned.From “BADJAO,HITHITBUGHA, CHACHA,HULAGWAY,now FACEBROKE ,garnering some awards and recognitions, I learned one thing how to make my films better--- TIME.

With the world I have, with the tasks I am doing everyday,with the priorities I am fixing every minute, I would say, NO ENOUGH TIME TO SHOOT BETTER ANGLES AND BETTER EDITING. Still, I am proud to say, at least I made it and able to share stories on big screen towards hundreds of individuals. This is what we called—passion.

Thanks to the Mindanao Film & Television Dev. Inc. Dax Cañedo for giving us an outlet to keep our passion burning by organizing such film fest.

On the other hand, I am “slightly” saddened of the show—the fest itself. Not the result of the awards because we deserve it but the organization of festival.Gumastos ako ng hundreds just to watch my very own film? (Though accordingly refundable daw) As an event organizer myself, I can smell mini loopholes that could have been easily to be solved if they do this and do that.

Ya I know, it was toxic on their side. I can feel their heavy loads and stress auras while the festival is going on. I fully understand that. It is just that I wanna give a constructive criticism as far as my opinion is concerned for the BETTER because at the end of the day—this is not only MFF show but OUR SHOW.

The scenario

On a particular day at the Gmall Cinemas, organizers issued gate passes for the filmmakers ( not to mention the brouhahas on the system).The Ids are for the key film makers and only the director can watch all the films for free regardless of the block time. On the next day, I rushed to the cinema to watch other films and even my own film. Suddenly, the guard blocked me and told me that privileged Ids are no longer effective.Just yesterday I was instructed about the ID thing huh? Baka ang guard ang mali I said, so I have to spend a P100 ticket each just to watch our FILM?

Ridiculous,because I have learned the changes from the security guard’s mouth and not from the festival’s text brigade. Suddenly, batch of filmmakers who were seemingly punked first before me informed me the latest.I told myself, hey where are the organizers?They are supposedly the ones who will be telling this MAJOR change to the entrants.

By and by,a member from the festival caught our attention and gathered us informally in a “sound of silence” to formally announced the “wind of change”. Accordingly, due to GMALL and MFF change of agreement. I will not bother to elaborate it because the logic is, before hand, both parties agreed and signed a contract that the system is this and that. If I were them, why change? Yes, I understand the reason but for me it is unforgivable to BIG EVENT like this ( Oops I forgive you guys). I am saying this so that the organizers will know the weak points on 2010 fest.

Next year, I suggest that the following will be enhanced. These are the things that I think need to improve as much as I will improve our films too.

Ø Poster Design ( Sana na inform man lng ako thru text na ganun lng kaliit ang e print,hnd na sana nag effort to write more text on it)

Ø Fix Date ( Not all film makers are filmmakers by profession. Some are too busy and cannot afford to exude extra effort just to adjust with MFF’s sudden change).

Ø MTRCB ( Please give us complete pre requisites next time that are in tact. Avoid pushing us to wire to accomplish documents that could have been announced earlier para ma set ang schedules agad naming)

Ø IDS and TICKETS ( Very important matters)

Ø Don’t share your stress to us. I mean, do not show to us that you are being eaten by changes and unexpected problems.Create POSITIVE mode meyn. As early as now, dapat alam na ang dapat gawin para maagapan ang munting bagay na lalaki lng dahil sa isyu. Chillax and SMILE.

However, as I’ve said, this festival 2010 is far better than the past festivals. I can see institutions that are seriously helping the MFF. That is a great sign of progress. Again, CONGRATULATIONS to the 6th Mindanao Film Festival. Everyone was doing great! I am looking forward for more better films.

Comments

  1. If you are open to having a guest blog poster please reply and let me know. I will provide you with unique content for your blog, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am open for that idea,
    Tnx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts