Captain America: 'Skinny' Epic Fail




There is only one thing that awed me on this film -  when director Joe Johnston made Chris Evans (CAmerica/Steve Rodgers) skinny and lousy young man who ambitions to be a great soldier. The rest? Failed me.

Johnston revealed that one option for "Captain America" was to superimpose Evans' head on a skinny body double, much like the technology employed by filmmaker David Fincher in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" when Brad Pitt had to age backward.

The director said that the body double could not move like him. "As hard as he tried to watch Chris and duplicate the movements, it just wasn't the same" Joe added.

Instead of the body double/superimposed head, the filmmakers used a "shrinking" technique and computers to basically erase portions of Evans' strong physique on screen.

The output was just so fine and smooth. For that, CA deserves a merit of excellence in terms of editing. 
But, as I have said, that editing success to shrink Evans' strong physique was the only feature on this film that caught my interest while watching this 'skinny' film as I call it.

The fusion of the modern technology applied on a year 1940's setting annoyed me. I could smell flaws if  you would really dig out the materials used while the story was progressing. 

How come the characters can build a very sophisticated guns and underground laboratories while their mobile radios were still playing on low frequency? There were futuristic vehicles and guns but they were showing a video clips on black and white? They have built such invulnerable shield of Steve but how come they cannot build a fortress that is made of steel as powerful as Steve's? How come they cannot supply bullet proofs for their soldiers? Even the villainous organization was vulnerable of the old fashioned 'WWII' riffles?

Yes, I understand your points readers, that the film was trying to establish the retro setting as if happening during the 'Hitlers' days. What I want to say is, the components on the film do not work relatively. Will you teach your pupils under the heat of the sun when 'people' nowadays can build concrete buildings for classrooms with aircon if you wish?Advanced technology was applied on the film where cellphones do not exist yet!

I felt like I'm fooling myself in 2 hours. Yup, most of the suspense and adventure films do not really happen and everything is the cream of the writers imagination. But this time,CA abused that reality.

For entertainment, BIG YES! It passed. 
The funny lines and humorous delivery of script made me laugh.Brilliant. But, forgive me, everytime CAmerica attacked where supposedly TOTAL ACTION happens, was just so boring and 'cheezy'. Red Skull looked so furious and powerful together with his laser boys. BUT how did he die failed the supposedly 'exciting' part of the plot. It was a formulaic super hero plot. Nothing new except for the shrinking Evan. 

I don't have to raise a blue flag to praise the VFX and some editing stuff, that would not be necessary. I have Transformers, Harry Potter, Iron Man and many more. As I've said, nothing new. END of the 'skinny' minded films.

P.S. the film deserves to be rated 76% in www.rottentomatoes.com.

Comments

Popular Posts