The Quest for Excellence: HCDC at 60!

Holy Cross of Davao College has proven once again that HCDC is an institution of talented,brilliant and flexible individuals as they celebrate the 60th anniversary of HCDC (Diamond Jubilee) with their spectacular dance and chorus presentations at the CYO Gym last September 12,2011.

Despite of the heavy loads my career has given me, I was still able to witness some great parts of the show that made me proud as an alumnus of my dear Holy Cross.

While watching my teachers and friends performing in the dance floor and while the AVP showed the history of the school and the evolution of technology, memories were popping out from my mind. Memories of myself as a 'probinsyano' who have fought against the will of my parents.

I remember my mother saying " Stay in Mati, we cannot afford you to enroll in Davao, you know we are poor". 

Those were words that actually challenged me and encouraged me to find my own quest for excellence in Davao. Let me share you how this school molded my faith and hardened my foundation making me invulnerable to discouragements and rejections.

Being a valedictorian in Mati School of Arts and Trades was my ticket to enroll in HCDC for FREE in my first year college. That determination prompted my parents to double their efforts to send me money which was enough only to pay my P600/mo. boarding house fee in the popular Fortune Alley very known as BUYAYANG.

Not had been for my cousin and my will to survive in this crazy city, I would never memorize the streets and landmarks of Davao City. Holy Cross was my HOME. I spent most of my time participating school's activities and contests.

AB - Mass Communication people were my family.My tribe in the school.The course I never expected to come into my life. My parents wanted me to be an engineer but my heart didn't say so. (I hate CALCULUS and RULERS).

I met amazing people and they became my 'super' friends until now. I have encountered good and 'not-so-good' mentors. PEACE!hehehe...but, generally they have been part and always will be in all the triumphs I have gone to. My peers and my [dancing] teachers were the heaviest factors that made me stronger and  better everyday. 

Balancing studies and fun were my secret weapon. I did not punish myself much in studies. I actually enjoy my studies by selecting trusted friends and trashing those useless people. Looking always the brighter side of my day to day life was my 'mantra' in surviving the battles of life inside and outside the school. This religious school has changed me in terms of valuing spiritual relationship with God.

No one looked over my shoulder in my 4 years in college.My parents were working so hard to at least support me.There were times, oftentimes, they failed but I never blamed them, instead, I loved them more. The absence of my parents' presence didn't affect me much. HCDC gave the pamper, the love, the comfort, the challenge and the encouragement to win all battles.


I wish I could tell you all the stories of me life in Holy Cross but I have actually shared it all here in my blog years ago. Just visit these links. It took me an hour to dig it from my archive.hehe.

 and many more on this site. 

The quest for excellence will never be ended. It is an everyday challenge to all of us. I dedicate this blog post to all holycrossians who seemed to be bothered with the realities. Poverty is indeed not a hindrance. It's all about you! You are the captain of the ship. God gave us thousands of options. All you have to do is to gather your faith,never surrender, and seek peace within you always.Set your goal. Focus. Have fun. Challenge yourself but never hold your tears when you feel the down side of life. Cry but promise yourself to stand again. 

NEVER say NEVER to all opportunities.At the end of the day, everything happens for your own sake.
Congratulation to Holy Cross of Davao College! My heart will always be with you.

Comments

  1. Indeed we all hail to Holy Cross of Davao College, a premier institution in the mindanao.. Our quest for excellence will not end in this matter, it will continue hovering in the next 60 years to come...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts