Life is quicker than a blink of an eye

Author Nica Bautista with her children. His huband Andrew is the
President of the 5J 971 crash victims. Bautista family was one of
the Cebu Pacific passengers when it landed at the wrong way.

It was summer again and vacation was about to end. Tonton, I and the kids were excited for our last summer hoorah relaxation. Little did I know that it would be the most memorable and life changing experience for all of us.

Every summer it had been part of our yearly routine to go back home to Manila and Lipa and spend time with our families and friends. Life has been good to us because it gave us enough to spend for tours and a little shopping. The Philippines is a very beautiful country and it is indeed “more fun in the Philippines!”

We are the hosts for the June reunion of ME-55 so before coming home to Davao, we went to Paete to buy our very own and first Mama Mary and Crucifix. Then we went to Taal to buy “pasalubong” and we were led to the biggest church in Asia where our statues were blessed by no less than Msgr. Madlangbayan. We were excited to show our Filipino tradition to our girls so we watched the most awaited May event in the town of Alitagtag - the “Tapusan or Santacruzan” which is a parade to honour the Virgin Mary. It was mesmerizing and touching to see the beautiful Mama Marys in gaily decorated karosas with music from bands, the parade of Reynas and their partners and the prayer leaders praying the rosary. Hearing the prayers gave me a shot of silence and a little of worry feeling...but I did not mind it. I thought that maybe I was just tired with that long day.

We went home on June 2. As usual, we rushed in going to the airport and waited in that long line to check in. We were tired but fulfilled with the fun family vacation we had. We were excited to board the plane for our trip home but our flight was delayed. We were seated at the first row. The flight was going smoothly. I even fell asleep with my baby on my lap. I jerked out of sleep when I felt the air pocket. Then I saw my husband reading the prayer book. I smiled and said to myself, “ BLD is such a good instrument, it made him more prayerful now.”

My baby is very attached to me and cries when someone gets her from me. I was astonished when, upon waking up, she kept calling her babysitter, Lady. I thought that maybe she just wanted to play with her sister Annika who was seated beside Lady at row 3. It was probably her guardian angel who transferred her there for if she sat with me, she would have been thrown moments later . I had a feeling of uneasiness and suddenly, there was an exchange of air pockets and turbulence. I felt like I was outside of the box watching myself like I was in a movie. Everybody was seated and everything was fine then a little bit later there was a plane crash! It was just a vision that soon happened.

Minutes later, the pilot announced for a landing. We were still flying too high above the ground so it was unusual to make a landing. The flight attendants took their seats and chatted without reminding the passengers about their SOP like roll up the window or straighten the seats etc. (and still their bosses congratulate them!) I looked down and saw the city lights of Davao. I felt relieved and thanked God for we were home. The plane landed fast and roughly, and then there was that loud sound as if we were dropped to the ground. We were bumped, bounced and jolted by that impact. All the passengers were in shock, still and quiet. But the plane did not stop. It was running so fast and we could hear that squeaky sound and there were sparks of fire on the front right side of the plane and the smoke started to smell. The flight attendants screamed with their feet up looking at the fire sparks at their left. Everybody panic ked! Some cried and others shouted and called God. I sat very still. I could not move as if my body froze. I told myself that if the plane wouldn’t stop in 7 seconds it would be a plane crash and we might die. I wanted to get my babies but I was helpless for I was also struggling not to get hurt with the impact of the plane. I felt helpless…

I called God. I said, “Lord I am not yet ready. Please save us!” Then suddenly, the plane stopped.
I was relieved but still anxious for we smelled the smoke. We wanted to get off for fear that the plane might explode. Andrew stood up and calmed down the passengers. I was trembling and my teeth were clicking vigorously! I wanted to get my kids but I was told that it was still dangerous and that I should calm down. And it helped. There was chaos as passengers were demanding for the door to be opened! But the attendants wouldn’t open without the captain’s signal. Twenty minutes later, the pilot finally got out of the cockpit. I can still remember how he looked. He was very pale, his hands were shaking and his lips were trembling. He talked as if eating his words. He explained that there was a sudden brownout when we were 5 miles above but the lights came back and when we were about to touch down, the plane was swept off by the heavy rains and wind. Then he quickly retreated to his cabin. They still did not open the door for they were, accordingly,waiting for the rescuers.I got more anxious for I know that the only way to get off the plane was to slide down, which I have a trauma with since I was a kid.

When they finally opened the door, people rushed to get out but those ordinary heroes inside the plane gave way to the women, children and old ones first. Since we were seated in the front row, we got off first. I saw my husband and daughter slid. When it was my turn, I had my baby on my lap, crying as we slid down with heavy rains pounding on us. I was scared and devastated! I never thought it would happen to us. Never in my wildest dreams!

Looking at the plane, I felt relieved to know that we were all saved by God. I know that everything happens for a reason, worst or unexpected scenario but I’m sure it’s according to his design for us to say “Thy will be done”. From Paete to the Taal church to the The Tapusan Virgin Mary parade, I feel that the Holy Spirit was leading us to salvation to save us from that incident.

This is our second life. He saved us to experience more love, happiness, blessing, and joy as a family. But most of all, He saved us because we have a purpose - purpose of being his true servants. We owe our lives to God for it’s only He who can save, can take, and can change everything in this world. Even the most smart, rich and powerful man can be so helpless without the Lord. Some of us pray for good health to prolong life, some pray for more to have a better life, others pray for forgiveness because they have sinned. In times of despair we ask for help. In sadness we seek guidance. When we are in trouble we call Him to save us. But not all of us pray just to thank Him for the life He gives us today.

Our family is the best gift from God. But the most precious is our life because without it, we will never feel the best thing in this world. So let us all be thankful for the wonderful life He gave us because life could be gone quicker than the blink of an eye. (Nica Bautista)

Comments

Popular Posts