Duterte Not Running?The Farm Beckons



The phones have not stopped ringing since the time Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte declared for the umptenth time that he would not run for President in 2016.

Most of the callers expressed disappointment and frustration over the "decision" of the Mayor not to run but there was a good number of true-blue believers who just would not give up.

Indeed, except for the word "categorical," there was nothing new in the announcement that he would run.

Just like the many others though, I also asked myself what I would do, what would my options be should my friend, Rody Duterte, decides to "finally" reject the call for him to lead the country.

Earlier this year, when he kept repeating the line that he was not interested in the Presidency, I told Rody Duterte that if that happens, I would pack up my bags, leave everything behind and settle in a foreign land, maybe start a new life in the US.

You see, when I, along with a few friends who believed in him, started convincing him to run for President, I told Rody that I would drop everything I was doing to support his bid, including politics.

Now, I have my second thoughts about that. I do not want to leave behind my brothers, my ailing mother, my relatives and loyal friends during the most difficult times the country is in.

I do not want to come back a few years later and offer myself to serve the people once again.

A few months ago, when Duterte was saying he would not run for President, I received a call from a friend who was working for a national politician.

He asked me if I would be willing to join their camp and help them should my friend decide not to run for President.

I told my friend politely that I was only involved in politics again because I believe Duterte is the answer to the problems confronting the country today - criminality, drugs, corruption, divisiveness and lack of direction in governance.

Beyond Duterte, I would not like to be involved with politics or other political personalities again.

"I would rather go home and plant camote," I joked.

Who are the other choices should Duterte really decide not to run?

Honestly, I see the political horizon bereft with a political material who does not harbor personal motives in running for the Presidency.

I cannot support a Presidential candidate who could not even face his accusers who claim he stole billions of pesos in government funds.

I cannot support a newbie who has to rely on her advisers just to come with a sensible answer to the simplest problems like the Iglesia Ni Cristo rally.

I cannot support a politician who is insensitive to the feelings of the people around him and who considers those around him as instruments which he could use to achieve his ambitions.

There is only one option for me should Duterte decide not to run.

My farm at the foot of Mt. Apo beckons. The lanzones, mangosteen, guyabano and rambutan are full of fruits.

The vegetables are growing fast while the rubber nursery promises modest earnings enough to pay off debts and lead a decent life.

The chicken breed which I developed, Manok Pinoy, is fast gaining acceptance in the meat market and I have to breed more.

The malunggays, the mayanas, the turmeric and the ginger are growing fast. Soon they will be ready for the market.

There are other things to do in life should Duterte finally decide not to run.

But I still have a last option though. It may sound desperate but I will hang on to this last option because I have always been a fighter all my life.

You see, the deadline for the filing of the Certificate of Candidacy will still be on Oct. 16, 2015, that's over a month from now.

I have been convincing Duterte to run for President for the last two years and he has consistently said No.

Today, he said No again.

Well, I waited for over two years. What's another 39 days.

My last option?

I will move on and continue convincing Duterte that he is really needed by the people as proven by the national frustration following his announcement today.

What do bar goers say about closing time?

"It's not over till the fat lady sings the blues."

And what do golfers say?

"You don't win a golf game after you have holed out in the 18th hole."

Let's continue pushing, let's continue dreaming and most of all let's continue praying that Duterte will see the light and realize that the call of the people for him to lead is real.

It does not end yet.

Duterte Not Running?The Farm Beckons by Manny Piñol

Comments

Popular Posts